Thursday, April 12, 2012

spring sprang upon us (finally)

Seattle catches a lot of flak for being such a rainy city, and I've been teased about growing gills and having webbed fingers and toes all because this is where I call "home" for now. However, I would posit that there are few places more lovely than Seattle in the spring.

We have gorgeous mornings full of chilly air and bright sunshine and haunted by the smells of damp grass and soil and cherry blossoms. Add a cup of coffee to that vignette or a morning walk, and that is a picture of contentment, good sirs and madames!

During our morning commute, I look forward to seeing the bald eagle perched on a light post in the middle of the 520 bridge. S/he is huge, and the seagulls are dwarfed in comparison. I also look forward to walking around campus at work, showing my pace between buildings so I can soak up more sunshine and refill my depleted vitamin D reserves.

The days are exponentially longer--or so they seem--and I feel generally more productive now that winter has released us from its hungry clutches. Now is the time to tackle big projects, to change up habits. I've been nesting at our new place (getting close to finishing, I think!), and I'm starting to transition from chemical/toxic cleaners to natural ones. (I made natural dishwasher detergent last night!)

Spring also promises new hope. In spring, we celebrate Easter, or when Jesus died and then rose from the dead, thereby redeeming mankind and atoning for our sin. This is a big deal for me! Because of this, I can no longer be defined by my past mistakes, I find a new identity in Christ. Woo!

What is your favorite part about spring?


1 comment:

  1. My favorite part of spring is wearing flip flops again! My toesies were not made for confinement inside shoes.

    ReplyDelete